- Canola oil for frying
- 1 pound clean squid bodies cut in 1/4 inch rings and dried with a paper towel
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- In a large pot or dutch oven add three inches of oil and bring to 350 degrees.
- Add the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Toss the squid pieces in the flour then into the hot oil.
- Fry the squid for 1-2 minutes. You want the color to stay pale like in the pictures.
- Remove to a cookie sheet to drain (do not add paper towels as it will steam the calamari and make it soft.)
- Serve with lemon wedges.